Semen Baturaja boosts white clay, mortar production in wake of pandemic

first_imgState-owned cement producer PT Semen Baturaja plans to continue developing its downstream products, including mortar and white clay, as part of its second half and long-term strategy in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. The company has made an investment of up to Rp 3 billion and Rp 800 million, respectively, to install white clay and mortar production facilities at its factories, the company’s president director, Jobi Triananda Hasjim, has said. “Our main targets within the next five years are the utilization of existing facilities, securing raw materials and making downstream products key,” Jobi said during a press briefing hosted by the Indonesia Stock Exchange (IDX) on Monday.  The pandemic has depressed spending on infrastructure as the state budget has been reallocated to finance the country’s COVID-19 containment measures, affecting sales of infrastructure materials, including cement.Read also: Foreign companies go ahead with acquisition plans despite COVID-19 pandemicDuring this year’s first six months, Semen Baturaja saw its revenue fall 19 percent to Rp 671.83 billion from Rp 833.47 billion during the same period last year. It turned around its Rp 7.56 billion net profit booked in 2020 to a net loss of Rp 137.62 billion as of June 2020. As many infrastructure projects are funded by the government, basic industry companies such as Semen Baturaja needed to rely on alternative products to increase sales.  Semen Baturaja plans to launch and sell its mortar product under the brand Baturaja Mortar during this year’s second half, following a market trial it conducted several months prior in Bandar Lampung. It has set aside two production facilities with a capacity of 360 tons and 2,400 tons per year located in Lampung to produce its mortar supply. At the same time, the company is ramping up its white clay production to achieve the 2020 target of 50,000 tons of white clay.In a memorandum of understanding signed in January between the company and PT Pupuk Sriwidjaja (Pusri) Palembang, a subsidiary of state-owned fertilizer company PT Pupuk Indonesia, the company agreed to supply white clay to Pusri Palembang.Read also: Japanese cement firm to spend $220 million for 15% of Semen Indonesia subsidiaryThroughout the first half of the year, the company has sold almost 16,000 tons of white clay, 7 percent higher than the target set for the period. Aside from mortar and white clay, the company is undergoing research and development for a fiber cement board that can be installed as a wall partition, floor and ceiling. It is also developing a porous concrete product that can be used in parks to increase water absorption into the parks’ soil.“In the cement industry, the markets [we are expanding to] are dependent on the cost of distribution because the average price of cement across all regions is almost the same,” Semen Baturaja’s finance director, M. Jamil, said during the briefing.The company has been reliant on sales within the southern part of Sumatra, which includes the provinces of Jambi, South Sumatra, Bangka Belitung Islands, Bengkulu and Lampung. To increase sales, Semen Baturaja recently expanded to Pontianak in West Kalimantan and has shipped 2,250 tons worth of cement as of July this year to the city, which will act as the company’s entry point to greater Kalimantan’s market. The company plans to enter Riau province soon. The total demand for cement from the southern Sumatra market fell 5.3 percent year-on-year to 2.41 million tons in the first half of this year from 2.54 million tons in last year’s first half. Read also: Ministry to expand public employment scheme in Q3 infrastructure projectsThe company reported a downturn in cement production by 17 percent to 744,275 tons, while its sales volume fell 16 percent to 746,612 tons during the same period. Jamil noted that entering the second half of the year, the company had seen an uptick trend in demand for cement and hoped this could prop up the company’s sales going forward.  The company’s shares, traded on the IDX under the code SMBR, rallied at 2.91 percent by closing on Monday to Rp 530. Throughout the year, the company’s stock price has risen by 20.45 percent. The company did notably better than the basic industry and chemicals sector, as well as the benchmark Jakarta Composite Index, as the former fell 22.50 percent and the latter 16.23 percent year-to-date.Topics :last_img read more

Governor Wolf Praises Advocates for New Domestic Violence, Gun Safety Protections

first_img November 14, 2018 Bill Signing,  Government That Works,  Press Release,  Public Safety,  Women’s Rights Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf thanked advocates today for their ongoing support of victims of domestic violence during a ceremonial bill signing of Act 79 of 2018, the first bill to truly take guns away from the dangerous abusers who use them to kill, terrorize and control.“Domestic violence is a scourge on our society and this bill and its reforms will go a long way to protect victims, hold abusers accountable and keep guns out of the hands of dangerous individuals,” said Gov. Wolf. “I want to personally thank the hundreds of advocates and everyday citizens who made their voices heard and got this bill to my desk. Pennsylvania did the right thing with House Bill 2060 to protect victims of domestic violence.In taking this important step forward toward protecting women, families, and communities against violent domestic abusers, Gov. Wolf was joined by Rep. Marguerite Quinn, Sen. Tom Killion, Executive Director of Ceasefire Shira Goodman, Executive Director of the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence Susan Higginbotham, leader of the Pennsylvania chapter of Moms Demand Action Deb Marteslo, Chair of the Pennsylvania Commission for Women Randi Teplitz, domestic abuse survivor Angela Quarles, legislators, and representatives of the Commission for Women and Everytown for Gun Safety.The new law includes additional safeguards to help protect victims of domestic violence, including:New requirements around prohibiting abusers who have been issued a final protection from abuse orders issued after a contested hearing or conviction for misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence from possessing firearms and requires them to turn in their guns to law enforcement agencies within 24 hours while the order is in effect;Eliminates the concern about simply relinquishing a firearm to a family member or friend;Allows for the time that an individual is incarcerated not to be counted for the 90 days of a temporary PFA.Due to the urgency of enacting the legislation, Gov. Wolf officially signed the bill into law immediately after receiving it on Oct. 12. He urges the General Assembly to continue making Pennsylvania safer by passing commonsense gun safety reforms, such as requiring anyone purchasing a firearm to go through a State Police background check.“I hope that this bill is the beginning of more bipartisan work to find commonsense ways to keep dangerous weapons away from dangerous people,” said Gov. Wolf. “We owe the citizens of this commonwealth a safe place and we need to continue working together – politics aside – to make that a reality.” Governor Wolf Praises Advocates for New Domestic Violence, Gun Safety Protectionscenter_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

Inner city Woolloongabba has emerged as a development hotspot

first_imgWoolloongabba has emerged as a development hotspot.LIKE a phoenix rising from the ashes, Woolloongabba has risen from the swamp.According to Brisbane Heritage Trails, the area was once known as One Mile Swamp due to a number of boggy waterholes in the area.It was named Woolloongabba is 1870 after the waterholes and swamps were drained to make way for cottages and small businesses.Fast forward to 2018, and the suburb would be unrecognisable to those first settlers, with more than 5500 people, most living in units, now calling it home. The Foundry by Habitat Development GroupCensus data shows that the average age of a Woolloongabba resident is 30, 51 per cent live in apartments or flats, and 63 per cent are renting.The Woolloongabba Priority Development Area (PDA) was declared in 2010, with the aim of promoting a mixed use precinct comprising residential and employment developments centred on a transport hub. The Wellington mixed use apartment development.Mr Schenk said Woolloongabba was transforming from light industrial to a bustling hub, with 78 per cent of The Foundry sold to local owner occupiers and investors.“Being across the road from the South City Square retail precinct and minutes from Little Logan Rd, buyers will have the best of all the amenity that Woolloongabba has to offer at their doorstep,” he said.A number of other developments have also been given the green light, including a three tower residential and retail precinct. The Drapery by Aria Property is also under construction, and comes after the developer completed a number of other projects in Woolloongabba. The Foundry by Habitat Development GroupMore from newsNew apartments released at idyllic retirement community Samford Grove Presented by Parks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus20 hours agoOne of the biggest developments currently underway is South City Square by Pellicano and Perri Projects. One South City (completed) and The New Deshon (almost complete) have both sold out, with civil works at The Mews Apartments due for completion mid-next year. Michael Kent from Pellicano Group said the developer had invested heavily in Woolloongabba over the years due to its proximity to the CBD, education facilities, public transport, and its affordability.“Those things signalled a good investment … that’s held true for our buyers and investors,” he said.Mr Kent said South City Square was proving popular with owner occupiers (downsizers and first home buyers) and investors, with increasing interest as the project progressed.“To be able to create a masterplan on such a large landholding close to the city is unique,” he said. South City Square“Each residential building has its own private residents facilities, there are expansive parklands, and we have retailers thriving and a number of other major announcements (about new retailers) soon. Public space is key.”Nearby, residents have started to move in to The Wellington by EPV Developments, with only a handful of the 127 apartments still for sale. Prices start from $339,000.Construction of The Foundry, an 88-apartment tower by Habitat Development Group, is also nearing completion. Sales and marketing manager Michael Schenk said the site, which had been owned by the same family for more than 50 years, had once been home to light industry and mechanic workshops.last_img read more

April 16, 2018 Police Blotter

first_imgApril 16, 2018 Police Blotter041618 Decatur County EMS Report041618 Decatur County Fire Report041618 Decatur County Law Report041618 Decatur County Jail Report041618 Batesville Police Blotterlast_img

Doris E. Fledderman

first_imgDoris E. Fledderman, age 67 of Batesville, died Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at her home.  Born January 25, 1951 in Batesville, she is the daughter of Mary Jane (Nee: Laudick) and Norbert Prickel.  She married Neil Fledderman August 1, 1970 at St. Louis Church.A CNA and health care provider, she worked twenty years for the Srs. of St. Francis Convent in Oldenburg and five years for Mentors of Indiana in Dillsboro.  Spending time with family and friends important to Doris and something she truly loved.  She was an avid I.U. and Colts fan as well as a member of the Batesville Eagles Club Aerie #1130 and the Prell-Bland American Legion Post #271 Ladies Auxiliary.She is survived by her husband Neil; daughter Dawn (Ryan) Renck of Batesville; son Darin (Tonya) Fledderman of Brandon, Mississippi; sister Linda Scott of Nashville, Michigan; brother Bob (Carol) Prickel of Batesville; grandchildren Hillary McAdams, Maxwell Fledderman, Peyton Fledderman, Walter Renck, Judson Renck; sisters-in-law Clara (Ed) Goble, Marti (Frank) Clark, Norma (Bob) Mayes, Rita Fledderman, all of Batesville and brothers-in-law Bob Fledderman of Colorado, Mark (JoAnn) Fledderman of Batesville, Tom (Patty) Fledderman of Sunman, Indiana, Lloyd (Connie) Fledderman of Batesville, Bernie (Mary) Fledderman of Cincinnati, Ohio, Rick (Terri) Fledderman of Batesville, Pat (Michelle) Fledderman of Batesville and Steve (Kathy) Fledderman of Elkhart, Indiana.  In addition to her parents, she is also preceded in death by brother Dennis Prickel and brothers-in-law Jim Fledderman and Kenny Scott.Doris’ wishes were to be cremated.  Her family will receive friends from 9 – 11:30 a.m. Saturday, October 6th at the funeral home.  A memorial service will follow at 11:30 a.m. with Rev. Mike Ison officiating.  The family requests memorials to Margaret Mary Health Foundation Hospice.last_img read more

I-74 EB & WB lane restrictions to begin Saturday in Shelby County

first_imgShelby County, IN—I-74 EB & WB will have lane restrictions starting Saturday, August 24. Both directions of I-74 near N CR 400 W to SR 44 will have intermittent lane closures between now and the middle of November. At least one lane will be open in each direction at all times. Work will be completed in 1-mile increments along this stretch. Crews will be patching and repairing concrete slabs during construction.last_img

Five new cases reported from Labor Day locally

first_imgStatewide — The Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) has reported that 394 additional Hoosiers have been diagnosed with COVID-19 on Tuesday. A total of 100,780 Indiana residents have tested positive for the coronavirus. To date, 1,150,863 individual tests have been reported to ISDH at an 8.8% positive rate and 12 new deaths were reported for a total of 3,156 Hoosier deaths. Dearborn County has a total of 593 cases and 28 deaths reported (up 3 new cases), Decatur County has a total of 430 positive cases and 38 deaths (up 1 new case), Franklin County has 282 positive cases and 25 deaths (up 1 new case), and Ripley County has 253 positive cases and 8 deaths (no change). Locally, this is an increase of 5 new positive cases.last_img read more

Florida man charged in mass shooting plot after investigators find weapons in his home

first_imgA Florida man has been charged with plotting to commit a mass shooting after authorities found that he lied about having any weapons in his apartment.Officials were alerted to 25-year-old Tristan Scott Wix, after his ex-girlfriend showed them several text messages from him where he claimed he wanted to be known as the most prolific killer in American history and that he already had a place in mind.“When you look at this kid’s background, he is the profile of a shooter,” Volusia County Sheriff Michael Chitwood said. “He lost his job, he lost his girlfriend, he’s depressed, he’s got the ammunition and he wants to become known for being the most prolific killer in American history.”When Wix was arrested on Friday, he originally told authorities that he did not have any weapons and that he was only fascinated with mass shootings, however, when investigators, searched his apartment they found a .22-caliber hunting rifle and 400 rounds of ammunition.Wix is currently being held at the Volusia County Branch Jail without bond. It is unclear if he has a lawyer.last_img read more

Family of missing Florida teen receives disturbing video call

first_imgIf you have any information about Rose’s disappearance, you are asked to contact Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS (8477). The family of a missing teen from Davie is reporting that they received a disturbing video call showing the teen tied up and crying.The incident occurred almost a month after the Florida teen disappeared.Authorities say 16-year-old Destiny Rose went missing on August 20th from the Alpha Group Home in Southwest Ranches.(Destiny via The Center for missing and exploited children)Her aunt told police that she received a video call from her niece’s account but when she answered the call, she made contact with a man and not her niece. The suspect then panned the video over to show Rose tied to a chair with a rope wrapped around her neck.“If you actually cared about her, you would be here to get her” before hanging up the phone.The suspect was described as being in his late 20s to early 30s, with a crew cut and a short patch of facial hair on his chin.last_img read more

100 runners support BHMH

first_imgBLUE HILL — More than 100 runners competed in the Blue Hill Memorial Hospital 5K on Saturday at BHMH.Phil Lebreton was the first male finisher in 17 minutes and 59 seconds, and Cecilia Dube was the first female in 20.56.The following won their age divisions.Female age 12 and under: Emrys Nurnik (29.58).This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textMale age 12 and under: Ellis Columber (24.06).Female age 13-19: Si Kusha Lowry-Neufe (27.09).Male age 13-19: Tate Toder (18.37).Female age 20-29: Chelsea Smith (22.44).Male age 20-29: Matthew Woodard (20.21).Female age 30-39: Tonya Worcester (25.42).Female age 40-49: Laura Lombardi (25.22).Male age 40-49: John Clements (23:13).Female age 50-59: Mindy Sih (25.2).Male age 50-59: Carl Silver (26.27).Female age 60-69: Isabella Karl (30.13).Male age 60-69: Brian Clough (31.16).Female age 70+: Joellyn Pollock (35.24).Male age 70+: Tom Bjorkman (31.58).last_img read more