GBA/Bris Promotions

first_imgNuff Cuff’ expected tonight in Guyana versus Suriname amateur boxing cardBy Michael DaSilvaTHE National Gymnasium on Mandela Avenue is expected to come alive tonight from 19:00hrs when the Guyana Boxing Association (GBA) in collaboration with BrisMac promotions stages an international amateur boxing card featuring boxers from the Dutch Republic of Suriname and the English speaking host, Guyana.Addressing members of the media yesterday at the Windjammer Hotel in Kitty, Georgetown, GBA’s president, Steve Ninvalle,welcomed the Dutch visitors and noted that the GBA and the Suriname Boxing Association has been very good friends over the years and both countries are eager to develop the sport in the region.According to Ninvalle, invitations were also extended to St. Marteen, St. Lucia, and Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Associations, but for reasons unknown, these three islands will not be a part of the one night championship.Ninvalle stated that four boxers from the Dutch Speaking Republic will be coming up against four of Guyana’s top amateur fighters and it will be interesting to see what will be the outcome.The GBA president said when Guyana visited Suriname last year, the Guyanese won most of the fights and it will be interesting to see how the Surinamese will respond here tonight.All in all, there will be 15 fights on tonight’s card,which according to Ninvalle,will commence at 19:00hrs sharp and though there will be 11 all-Guyanese bouts, Ninvalle assured that these bouts promise to be very entertaining.Speaking on behalf of the Suriname Boxing Association (SBA), its president Remie Burke thanked the GBA for inviting the SBA to participate in the tournament which, according him (Burke) will only serve to help the SBA to develop their boxers’ potential. Burke also stressed the need for other CARICOM countries to join forces in making the CARICOM region more powerful in the sport of boxing.Burke said this tournament will definitely assist his association in returning the sport to its former glory and make it a force to be reckoned with.Burke acknowledged that Guyana is far more advanced than Suriname in the discipline of boxing and alluded to the fact that it will be a learning experience for his association and boxers.The SBA president said this is a learning experience and his boxers will return to Guyana in the future to learn more.The SBA’s secretary, Ricardo Morris, in very brief remarks thanked the GBA for inviting the SBA to field a team of boxers for tonight’s competition and like Burke, said the exposure will be a learning experience for both the SBA as well as its boxers.Meanwhile, co-sponsor of the event,Alfred McDonald Morrison,stated that this is the first event that himself and the other co-sponsor, Seon Bristol, is staging here in Guyana, but there are more such events planned for the future and it is his hope that these planned events will bring out the best in Guyana and the rest of the CARICOM Region.Bristol for his part thanked the local business community for supporting boxing and stated that their main objective is to enhance the sport locally and regionally.Bristol thanked the Surinamese contingent for coming to Guyana and also thanked the local business community for supporting the event.Special mention was made of Ansa McAl, Windjammer Hotel, White Castle Fish Shop, Nigel Pile,and Ramesh Sunich of Trophy Stall in Bourda Market.last_img read more

Men’s hockey: Eaves says Jurusik is goaltender going forward

first_imgThe scoring came early and often over the weekend in New England, but it was much to the chagrin of the Wisconsin men’s hockey team as they fell to both Boston College and Boston University.Boston College established the tone early Friday night, opening the action with a goal 12 seconds into the contest. The Badgers didn’t find the back of the net and suffered their first shutout of the 2015-16 campaign.Maybe the most interesting subplot of the weekend was head coach Mike Eaves’ decision to pull senior goaltender Adam Miller in favor of freshman Matt Jurusik, with the Badgers trailing 2-0 in the first period Friday night. Jurusik would go on to stop 40 shots on goal against Boston University Saturday, the most by a Wisconsin rookie since 2001.Eaves gave his rookie goaltender a vote of confidence at his weekly news conference Monday.“We lost the game, but there were several things that stood out, and that was one of them,” Eaves said. “You know, that’s the kind of growth that we’re hoping to find with our young group as we get going, so because of that fact, you know, we go into this weekend knowing Friday night that young Matty is going to be our goaltender.”While the Badgers (0-2-2) dropped Saturday’s contest 4-1 to Boston University, there were some silver linings, Eaves said, including the continuation of early-season penalty kill success. UW thwarted 10 of Boston College’s 12 power plays, pushing the Badger’s season penalty kill success to 83 percent.“I thought our guys did a really good job,” Eaves said. “The blessing of having all those penalty kills is we got a chance to work on it live and in game situation, which is the best teacher so we did a lot of good things there, and we will be able to use that as we move forward as well.”UW will look to build upon the small successes from their New England trip when they face off against the Ferris State Bulldogs in a weekend showdown this Friday and Saturday in Big Rapids, Michigan.last_img read more

Van Basten distances himself from proposal to get rid of offside

first_imgFIFA technical director Marco van Basten’s distanced himself from his proposal to get rid of offside.The former World Player of the Year was speaking before the Confederations Cup in Russia.Players pressuring the referee, and goalkeepers holding the ball for longer than six seconds were highlighted as priorities. Photo © Pixabay Van Basten says scrapping some of football’s rules isn’t on his current agenda.last_img

Wellington Police Notes: Thursday, Feb. 12, 2015

first_imgWellington Police notes for Thursday, February 12, 2015•10:25 a.m. Officers took a report of an animal complaint in the 200 block N. Elm, Wellington.•10:55 a.m. Officers investigated identity fraud and theft by a known suspect(s) in the 1100 block E. 16th, Wellington.•11:20 a.m. Stuart A. Erwin, 32, Wellington was arrested for three counts of forgery, four counts of theft, one count of identity theft and conspiracy.•2:36 p.m. Jacob D. Dedmon, 23, Belle Plaine, was issued a notice to appear charged with expired registration.•3:35 p.m. Non-Injury accident in the 400 block N. Washington, Wellington involving a vehicle operated by Steven G. Ybarra, 59, Wellington and a fixed object/drive-thru deposit box owned by Panhandle Federal Credit Union, Wellington — occurred at 11:45 a.m.•3:40 p.m. Amber D. Dorsey, 28, Wellington was arrested for three counts of forgery, four counts of theft, one count of identity theft and conspiracy.•4:40 p.m. Officers investigated duty of driver report an accident by a known driver in the 1700 block E. 16th, Wellington.•6:27 p.m. Steven S. Erickson, 47, Anthony, was issued a notice to appear for disobeyed traffic signal.•8:37 p.m. Officers investigated driving while license is suspended and defective headlights in the 1300 block N. A, Wellington.•8:44 p.m. Kellie R. Fumich, 31, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for driving while license is suspended and defective headlights.last_img read more

WHS Daily Bulletin: Classic Movie Club showing Bonnie and Clyde on Tuesday

first_imgSubmitted to Sumner Newscow — Today’s Wellington High School bulletin for Monday, Oct. 12, 2015:Monday•JV football at Wichita Collegiate, 6 p.m.Tuesday•Volleyball at Welington, 5 p.m.WednesdayNothing scheduled.Thursday•Cross Country at El Dorado, 4 p.m.•C-team volleyball at Augusta, 5 p.m.Friday•State tennis at Winfield, 11 a.m.•Varsity football at Rose Hill, 7 p.m•All School play.Saturday•Volleyball at Clearwater, 9 a.m.•State tennis at Winfield, 9 a.m.•All school play.Today’s Lunch– Pizza, Tossed Salad with Romaine, Bread Stick, Marinara Sauce, Applesauce and Milk.Tuesday’s Lunch — Ham and Cheese Sandwich, Potato Wedges, Broccoli Florets, Fresh Grapes, Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cookie and Milk.Today’s News•Classic Movie Club will be showing the movie “Bonnie and Clyde” on Tuesday October 13 at 3:30 p.m. in room 205. If you have considered joining, now is the time to come. See a classic movie with friends and have fun!!•Attention Class officers: If you want any of your float decorations that were used for the dance, please see Ms. Vaughn. Any decorations that are not claimed by Friday afternoon will be thrown away.•Attention Stuco Members: There will be a Stuco meeting this Wednesday in the auditorium at 7:15.•Leadership would like to thank all involved in the Haunted Maze and Movie. Especially to the advanced drama class for their assistance and expertise.•ATTN JUNIORS:  The Kansas Star Casino has purchased ACT vouchers for all current Juniors.  If you are planning on taking the ACT stop by the counseling office for your voucher.•Students interested in going to Spain in June of 2017- Please pick up packet information from Mrs. Groom.•US Sgt. Justin Smith will be here during lunch on Monday, October 19th.•September 14th through November 11th all student-athletes 7th through 12th grades, will be given the opportunity to attend Core-Strengthening Yoga on Monday and Wednesday mornings from 6:40-7:15 at the middle school gym.•Football players- you can turn in your $2 in the office for the football signs.Guidance office news:College visits during lunch:Thursday, Oct 15- Baker UniversityFriday, Oct 16- University of Kansas.Monday, Oct. 19 – Butler County CC.Thursday, October 22, Friends UniversityMonday, Nov. 2- Hutchinson CC.Fun Fact of the Day:According to researchers, Monday mornings are so depressing that on average, humans don’t crack a smile until 11:16 a.m.last_img read more

Aubameyang, Mane, Salah to contest CAF award

first_imgJohannesburg, South Africa | AFP | Prolific goalscorers Mohamed Salah of Egypt and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang of Gabon were named on Monday among the three finalists for the African Player of the Year award.Sadio Mane of Senegal completes a list announced in Ghana for the highest annual Confederation of African Football (CAF) individual honour.Liverpool sharpshooter Salah is the leading English Premier League scorer this season with 14 goals, having moved from Roma in the off-season.He also scored crucial goals as Egypt reached the 2018 World Cup in Russia, which will be the first appearance by the Pharaohs at the global showpiece in 28 years.Borussia Dortmund striker Aubameyang lies second in the Bundesliga scorers charts with 13 goals, two less than Poland and Bayern Munich star Robert Lewandowski.Mane, a team-mate of Salah at Liverpool, was the pivotal figure as Senegal reached the World Cup for the first time since 2002.African Player of the Year title-holder Riyad Mahrez of Algeria and Leicester City was not among the 30-man original shortlist for the award this year. Mohamed Salah (EGY, Liverpool/ENG), Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (GAB, Borussia Dortmund/GER), Sadio Mane (SEN, Liverpool/ENG)Women’s Player of the YearAsisat Oshoala (NGR, Dalian Quanjian/CHN), Chrestina Kgatlana (RSA, UWC Ladies), Gabrielle Aboudi Onguene (CMR, CSKA Moscow/RUS)Youth Player of the YearKrepin Diatta (SEN, Sarpsborg/NOR), Patson Daka (ZAM, Liefering/AUT), Salam Giddou (MLI, Guidars)Coach of the YearGernot Rohr (NGR), Hector Cuper (EGY), L’Hussein Amoutta (Wydad Casablanca/MAR)Club of the YearAl Ahly (EGY), TP Mazembe (COD), Wydad (MAR)National Team of the YearCameroon, Egypt, NigeriaWomen’s National Team of the YearGhana U-20, Nigeria U-20, South AfricaShare on: WhatsApp CAF spokesman Junior Binyam told AFP the emergency committee of the organisation decided that the Africa-based Player of the Year and referee categories should be removed.He gave no reasons for the decisions after 10 footballers and six referees had been shortlisted last month for the awards.CAF awards shortlistsAfrican Player of the Yearlast_img read more

Florida Orders its Public Universities to Go Online Due to Coronavirus

first_imgThe State University System of Florida issued a directive late Wednesday afternoon requiring all public universities to switch to online as soon as possible to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.“Effective immediately, all universities will make plans to transition to remote instruction as soon as possible,” said spokesperson Renee Fargason in a statement.For students who have already returned from Spring Break, officials are directing those schools to transition to online classes as soon as possible. In addition, they are encouraging students to return home for at least 14 days. Those schools include:-University of Florida-Florida International University-Florida Polytechnic University-Florida Gulf Coast UniversitySchools with students currently on Spring Break or going on Spring Break should direct students not to return to campus for at least two weeks after Spring Break ends. Those schools include:-Florida State University-Florida Atlantic University-Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University-University of Central Florida-University of North Florida-University of South Florida-University of West Florida-New College of Florida“First and foremost, the health and safety of students within the State University System is our top priority,” a press release said. “As we have continued to monitor the spread of the COVID-19 virus it has become clear that to protect the students and the residents of our state, proactive rather than reactive guidance to universities is necessary. To be clear, campuses will remain open, and operations will continue, although some adjustments may be made as determined by each university.”All state universities will continue to provide dining, counseling, health services, and library services, but on a limited basis.Each university will develop a plan for providing residential accommodations for students who need assistance or who must remain in place.The State University System says it will continue to monitor guidelines issued by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and provide “expanded guidance” if necessary.last_img read more

CNN Anchor Chris Cuomo Tests Positive for COVID-19

first_imgChris Cuomo’s brother New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said he is concerned about his mother Matilda because she recently visited Chris at his home because she was lonely. The governor made it clear that his brother made a mistake by potentially exposing his mother to the virus. CNN “Prime Time” anchor Christopher Cuomo has tested positive for COVID-19, the network revealed Tuesday morning.Cuomo, host of “Cuomo Prime Time,” is “feeling well” and will continue to work from the basement of his home for the next two weeks, per a memo circulated to CNN staffers.last_img read more

Pirates avoid arbitration with Alvarez, Walker, 4 others

first_imgNeal Walker and Pedro Alvarez (AP Photo/File)PITTSBURGH (AP) – The Pittsburgh Pirates have agreed to terms with all six players who had filed for arbitration, including third baseman Pedro Alvarez and second baseman Neil Walker.The 26-year-old Alvarez will make $4.25 million in 2014. Alvarez is coming off an All-Star season in which he hit a career-high 36 home runs.Walker will make $5.75 million. He hit .251 with 16 home runs and 53 RBIs in 2013 while missing 29 games due to injury.Reliever Mark Melancon, who split time as a setup man and a closer last season, will make $2,595,000. Melancon went 3-2 with a 1.39 ERA and 16 saves in 72 appearances in 2013.The Pirates also reached agreements with first baseman Gaby Sanchez ($2.3 million), outfielder Travis Snider ($1.2 million) and right-handed reliever Vin Mazzaro ($950,000).last_img read more

Reopened Library Adding More Hours

first_imgLibrary Director Judith Bakos said starting April 1, the library will be more broadly accessible again. The hours will be Tuesday and Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Mondays and Wednesdays, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Saturday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.The renovated library has a spacious section for small children, with shelves full of books displayed to show the colorful illustrations, and one bookcase holding books for school age children, and more on order. There are also DVDs, newspapers and places for quiet reading. By Liz SheehanMONMOUTH BEACH – The town library has been rebuilt and reopened, and will soon be offering afternoon, evening and Saturday hours again.“By April 1, the extended hours will be fully implemented,” said Mayor Sue Howard on Wednesday.Since Super Storm Sandy hit in October 2012, badly damaging the library building, the library has operated from a small section of the great room in Borough Hall, at about half of its previous 30-hour a week schedule. In October, the town welcomed the return of the library to a newly renovated building on Willow Avenue. But the hours remained 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Mondays to Thursdays. “It’s so much more than books,” said borough resident Dianne Zeigler.Back before the storm, Zeigler took painting classes at the Monmouth Beach library. “I now paint on a regular basis,” she said. She has entered her work in art shows.“My life has been fulfilled because of that,” Zeigler said.The Monmouth Beach library is a “member library” with the Monmouth County Library system. Residents have free memberships to other county library branches, and can order books from them for pick-up in Monmouth Beach during its business hours.They also have access to the county’s Library On the Go! app, with which they can download select e-books and audio books at any time.Borough residents pay for their library cards through both a county tax and a municipal tax.Sea Bright and Oceanport, neighboring towns whose libraries were also made unusable by Sandy have moved to new buildings. Oceanport moved into the town’s community center in April, 2015 and Sea Bright reopened their library in an area rented from the United Methodist Church in July, 2015.last_img read more